What is MATLAB
MathWorks MATLAB handles a range of computing tasks in engineering and science, from data acquisition and analysis to application development. The MATLAB environment integrates mathematical computing, visualization, and a powerful technical language. Built-in interfaces let you quickly access and import data from instruments, files, and external databases and programs. In addition, MATLAB lets you integrate external routines written in C, C++, Fortran, and Java with your MATLAB applications.
Why Use MATLAB
- If you have to evaluate large amounts of data that are acquired automatically by means of computers and other technical appliances. Examples are psychophysical experiments (termEEG, termfMRI, eye tracking, galvanic skin resistance measurements and the like), Internet questionnaires, or log file analyses. In these applications, it is way too laborious to manually preprocess every single data set with a spreadsheet software and export it to a statistics software package. Thus, automating this process by means of a MATLAB program will be profitable.
- Moreover, the application of programmed data evaluation routines is a more efficient way if the evaluation procedure has to be changed over and over again to 'fine-tune' it. Re-calculating the whole data set with the changed procedure is then done in a snap.
- MATLAB offers a plethora of graphics functions, dedicated statistics functions and other interesting features which are not available in other software packages, or only in limited and unflexible implementations.
- MATLAB allows for the programming of user-friendly interfaces for data evaluation programs that are repeatedly used. Thus, complicated data evaluation procedures can also be performed by collaborators who are less skilled with the computer.
How to Access Matlab Online for New Users
Create MathWorks Account and Download Installer
1. Create a MathWorks Account using your university email address: mathworks.com/accesslogin/createProfile.do.
2. Go to the License Center: mathworks.com/licensecenter.
3. Click Associate License in the upper right hand corner.
4. When prompted to do so, enter the Activation Key that your administrator gave you.
6. Click the download button for the current release.
7. Click the installer button to download the installer.
Install and Activate
1. Run the installer.
2. In the installer, select Log in with a MathWorks Account and follow the online instructions.
3. When prompted to do so, select the Academic – Total Headcount license labeled Individual.
4. Select the products you want to download and install.
5. After downloading and installing your products, keep the Activate MATLAB checkbox selected and click Next.
6. Follow the prompts to activate MATLAB.
*Note- Detailed installation instructions can be also found in the link below:
How do I install MATLAB?
For Existing Users
For continued access to MATLAB, you may choose one of these options to update your license file:
- To update the License File in MATLAB (internet connection required):
- Go to Help > Licensing > Update Current Licenses
- If the license file has expired, existing MATLAB users simply need to launch MATLAB and it will start the Activation Client. Once in the activation client, users are provided with a guided workflow to re-activate the license.
For issues related to your MATLAB installation, contact MathWorks Support at 508.647.7000, press 3, then press 1.
MATLAB Academic Online Training Suite
- Visit http://matlabacademy.mathworks.com to access
- Log in using your MathWorks account
- Once logged in, you will be able to see a full list of available courses - including those available in Japanese and Spanish
- Please note: You will have until 30 June 2019 to access and complete course content
New and Dropped Platforms
- See the platform road map for the latest information on current and planned platform changes to MathWorks products.
New Features 2018
General Information/License Agreement Terms & Conditions
- Eligibility: Faculty, staff, students (DCCs are not eligible)
- Version: R2018b
- Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
- EOL Support: Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 and Debian 8 (April 2019)
- Cost: Free
- Computer and Software Requirements
- Campus Computer Lab Locations: Computer Labs That Have MATLAB Software Installed
- License Restrictions: Only those identified in the software or per the vendor
- Notes (Instructions & Documentation) Vendor Created
- Expires: June 2019
- Support: MATLAB Tech Support
- Phone menu #1
- Phone menu #2 need license numbers for employee and student
- Website(s): List of All Products (Vendor site)