What Are SSH Clients for Windows, Mac, and Unix
- PuTTY is a free open-source terminal emulator which lets you initiate interactive command-line sessions to UITS Unix servers. It can act as a client for the SSH, Telnet, rlogin, and raw TCP computing protocols and as a serial console client. Version 0.63
- WinSCP is a free open-source SFTP and FTP client for Windows. Its main function is to secure file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers scripting and basic file manager functionality. Version 5.5.5
- Tera Term Pro is a free open-source, software implemented, terminal emulator program. Tera Term Pro with its SSH extension (TTSSH) is one of the recommended UNIX terminal applications available for Windows users. This telnet client provides VT100 emulation, selected VT200/300 emulation, TEK4010 emulation and Kermit, XMODEM, ZMODEM, B-PLUS and Quick-VAN file transfer protocols. It emulates different types of computer terminals, from DEC VT100 to DEC VT382. Version 4.84
- Cyberduck is a libre server and cloud storage browser for Mac and Windows with support for FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, OpenStack Swift, Backblaze B2, Microsoft Azure & OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Open SSH for Unix
Why Use SSH Clients
SSH uses encryption to prevent eavesdroppers from reading information, such as your password, from the network. All SSH-type software allows for secure communication, replacing the vulnerable utilities like telnet, rlogin, ftp and rcp.
General Information/License Agreement Terms & Conditions
- Eligibility: Faculty, staff, and students
- Version: See individual clients for versions
- Platform: Windows or Mac
- Cost: Free
- Computer and Software Requirements:
- License Restrictions: Only those identified in the software or per the vendor.
- Notes (Instructions & Documentation)
- Website(s): See individual clients links